Friday, August 20, 2010

Breakfast of Champions



"
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
-Lewis Carroll

I have included two breakfasts. The first photo has many exciting components where as the second is all about the cheese eggs.

Full Breakfast:
  • Farm Fresh Eggs scrambled with Penzey's Northwoods seasoning. This seasoning falls in second place to basil pesto as my top seasoning to scramble into eggs. Third place will follow in cheese eggs.
  • Herbed red potatoes and yellow bell peppers. Instead of oven roasting I opted to sautee the reds, thinly sliced in garlic oil (this is made by simply reserving the oil from confit garlic) with julienne bell peppers and finished with fresh Italian flat leaf parsley and rosemary from the garden.
  • Sauteed turnip greens. I love greens! Any and all greens, and in particular for breakfast. Sauteed with shallot and red pepper flakes for a little kick. I also added a couple Tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar. This website gives a pretty good job of explaining the benefits of Organic apple cider vinegar.
  • Veggie sausage patty. Although this is a MorningStar brand, I prefer Gimme Lean brand sausage because it is more loose like true raw sausage. However, I can no longer find it at my local grocer. Gimme Lean brand is also terrific in making vegan biscuits and gravy.
  • Segmented grapefruit. After segmenting fruit, I always squeeze the leftover part of the fruit for any juice as a sweet treat, it is usually no more than a few tablespoons. Tutorial on "segmenting" citrus fruit.
  • Texas Pete Hot Sauce.
"A t-bone steak, Cheese Eggs and Welch's grape"-Biggie
A few ways to make to make cheese eggs:
  • First of all, this is a seriously decadent way to prepare scrambled eggs, so I always add a couple of tablespoons of milk or heavy cream (HC obviously being the most fatty and delicious way).
  • When I cook, I hardly measure my amount of seasoning, I just go on a feeling and by tasting constantly. For cheese eggs, because of the salt in the cheese, you will need to use considerably less in seasoning the eggs themselves.
  • Three ways to add your cheese:
  1. Whisk cheese into eggs before entering the pan.
  2. Melt the cheese in the pan (in your oil or fat of choice: butter, bacon grease, et cetera), before adding egg mixture.
  3. Wait until eggs are about finished, turn off heat and fold in the cheese. This is the method I prefer, the reason for this is that I am neurotic about eating raw egg whites, or rather, NOT eating them. By this method I can be sure that my eggs are cooked to my liking. By way of the first two options, I feel that I can't distinguish between the melted cheese and the raw egg and this makes me uncomfortable. As far as flavor is concerned, I think that option number 2 is actually the best choice. Especially if you like your eggs a little loose, this would be a good choice for you.
  • Herbs. Fresh parsley brings a different dynamic to eggs that until you have experienced you are seriously missing out! Fines herbs, classically: chervil, chives, parsley and tarragon, are also delicious. These herbs, because of their delicate nature should always be added last, before serving.
  • Lastly, do not cook your eggs over high heat, this will make the protein tough. Go easy on em.

No comments:

Post a Comment