Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pizza Night!



When I eat alone, I tend to make less time consuming meals, which usually only attracts the range, not the oven. Anyway, pizza is an exception. You'll have to excuse the soft lighting on the second photo, it really wasn't that romantic of an occasion.
In general I tend to make most of my dough from scratch (aside from puff pastry), but last night I was lazy and just used store bought dough.
For the pizza:
-After pre-baking, I rub the crust with a wild mushroom grape seed oil. You can obviously use Extra virgin olive oil, but playing with different oils is much more fun!

-Fresh minced garlic.

-Thinly sliced roma tomatoes, I find that thin is crucial for keeping your dough from getting soggy. I also season my tomatoes slightly with cracked black pepper and a little kosher salt.

-The cheese: I just use whatever I can find in the fridge, it helps that there is always plenty of cheese. Grated with a medium grater (no micro-plane here!).
  • parmigiano reggiano
  • Rosenborg danish bleu
  • Semi-hard mystery cheese from the cheese drawer
  • A little bit of sharp cheddar

-Now its time for toppings:
  • greek black olives, pitted and sliced
  • marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
  • red onion, julienne
  • orange bell pepper, julienne
-To finish, I drizzled honey across the crust and over the pie itself.

This was served with a simple salad of romaine hearts with dried cranberries, almonds, and a ginger vinaigrette.

1 comment:

  1. yum yum... ive been wanting to make a homemade pizza for the longest time! this is definitely inspiring! i need to make a trip to the grocery ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete