Monday, August 16, 2010

Red Bean Chili Stew


I had some leftover corn from a barbeque yesterday, so I just looked through the pantry to make something quick. This took about 20 minutes to make. I used some goat cheese I had in the fridge, but this would go nicely with a little queso fresco or cotija. Also, if I ever make this again, I would definitely serve it with a couple lime wedges and a bit of fresh cilantro on top.
The goat cheese I used, I believe is from Spinning Spider Creamery in Asheville, NC. (I'm unsure because it was picked up at a farmers market by someone other than myself)

  • 1 corn cob's worth o corn
  • 40.5 oz red kidney beans
  • 14.5 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 10 oz can diced tomatoes with lime & cilantro
  • 1/2 a red onion, small dice
  • 2 garlic cloves minced
  • 1 jalapeno, brunoise
  • pinch of thyme, allspice, ground ginger
  • chili powder, to taste
  • cumin, to taste
  • cilantro, to taste
  • goat cheese
  • kosher salt and fresh pepper
Sweat the garlic and onions with a little salt and then add the spices. Continue to sautee for about another 2 minutes. Next you add the japs, and allow to sautee lightly, then add the tomatoes, beans and corn. At this point I added the cilantro and additional chili powder and cumin to taste, and of course.. s&p. I let this simmer for only a few minutes because I was really hungry. Top with crumbled goat of other cheese. It was considerably spicy already, so the leftovers for tomorrow's brunch should really get the fire alarm goin after it has sat through the night!
As far as leftovers are concerned, the stew will thicken, so it could be warmed and spooned over some crusty bread, which you could first spread with a layer or goat cheese. I also think it would go great in a sort of chilaquilas with a sunny side up egg on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment